April 25, 2010

CooLikeDat Exclusive: Interview W/ Xaphoon Jones (of Chiddy Bang)



CooLikeDat got a Exclusive Interview with Xaphoon Jones, 1/2 of the upcoming group Chiddy Bang. It includes his creative process, his influences and much more! Check it out.

For those who don't know who exactly is Xaphoon Jones?

My name is Xaphoon Jones. I am a music producer. I happen to put most of my time towards writing / recording / making beats for this rapper named Chiddy. This duo is called "Chiddy Bang". My family calls me Noah, but alot of people call me Darnell Spottswood, Jr.

How long have you been producing? How did You get into it?

I started recording my friend's bands in 10th grade. They wouldn't let me be in their band. I met a kid named Theodore Grams and he taught me how to make beats.

How does your creative process work? How do you create your beats?


I like to use samples a lot. When I don't, it is usually because a little melody has popped into my head (And then I use that instead.). As far as beats for Chiddy go, I usually chop a sample, and then I get it to the correct time/speed. Then I build a drum track around it, and layer on some synths. Finally, I record Chiddy's vocals and any live instruments that are needed.

Who were your influences growing up?

James Jamerson, Joe Strummer, DJ Premier.

What artists do you listen to right now?
Besides the three above? Right now I like Darwin Deez, Black Milk, The Knocks, and some other stuff.

My favorite track you have right now is "All Things Go." Do you have one for the people to check out?
I like that one too. Not sure I understand the second half of the question, but yes, everybody, go check out "All Things Go" Update: Ohhh a favorite track. Its all good. They should check out the Ellie Goulding jawn

What can you expect from in upcoming months in 2010?


Expect a full length Chiddy Bang album in August! And maybe a Xaphoon Jones mixtape Vol. 2 If I can find the time.

We here at the CooLikeDat would like to thank you for this interview. We wish you the best with your career and look foward to hearing from you in the future, but we have to ask as a final question... What makes you CooLikeDat?

The Puba of the styles like miles and shit.


Download Any of Xaphoon's Mixtapes. They are all dope!





Follow @XaphoonJones on Twitter.
Check out extra Chiddy Bang Stuff Here
"And We Pretty Much Amazing"

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow I have to check out some of those. Artists.