July 22, 2012

CooLikeDat Interview w/ Nefarious!



CLD interviewed @NefTheDamaja, known to the public as Nefarious!.See what the producer  had to say about his latest release, The Dream Theory as well as other topics including The Soul Dojo, weird dreams and more! 


CLD: Who is Nefarious!?

NEF: Nefarious! is a chill ass Producer and Sound engineer from the Bay Area, to put it simply.


CLD: How did you get into producing?

NEF: I was actually a rapper first... I didn't even know how to jack beats off of Soundclick at the time like every other rapper did, so I decided to learn how to make beats myself. Eventually I realized that producing is what I really loved to do and never had any desire to rap ever again.

CLD: Tell us what inspired you to start The Soul Dojo

NEF: I had just turned 17 and started getting into reading hip-hop blogs and stuff. At that time, there weren't really any blogs for producers out there yet so I decided to start my own. The name is inspired by my Martial Arts background and it was primarily to get my own music out. I'd put up work by artists I'm affiliated with as well and here we are today. We operate more like a label and brand than just a blog nowadays, but we still promote those that are dope! 

CLD: The Dream Theory was extra smooth. Do you have a favorite song from that project?

NEF: A lot of people dig “The Dreamer”, but I think “Tolerance Break” has to be my favorite... I remixed one of my older joints called "Still You". I like to have fun with it. Put out whatever I want. Creating and not really worrying about what others will think type of thing... Bong rips and all. Self censorship is the worst.

CLD: What is it that you want people to walk away with after listening to your music?

NEF: At the end of the day I just want to move people somehow. Spark some kind of connection between music and memories and the way the listener is feeling. I love it when I hear a song I really liked back in the day and remember things that I thought I've forgotten. Places... faces... The same thing when I listen back on my older work.


CLD: Now let's have some fun...Do you have a favorite movie?

NEF: definitely Fresh or Fear of a Black Hat

CLD: Do you remember the creepiest/craziest dream you've ever had?

NEF: In one dream I remember I could escape into any record sleeve I wanted. Like, the artwork and stuff. That was pretty cool, I think about it all the time now.

CLD: If you could do one thing today, with no matter of the cost, what would you do?

NEF: Can I buy my own album 10 million times and keep the money?

(Fill in the blanks:)
a. I think food when I first wake up.
b. When I was a kid I wanted to be a Power Ranger.
c. Beat jackers annoy the sh*t out of me.
d. I couldn't live without my records
e. Most people don't know this about me but I love liver and onions.

CLD: F*ck one, kill one, marry one: Angelina Jolie, Kim Kardashian, Queen Latifah

NEF: Uhhh... Sorry Queen Latifah :(

CLD: What can we expect from you in the future? 

NEF: More music from me and the rest of the family at The Soul Dojo. We're expanding into other aspects of music, I can't say much but it'll be up at TheSoulDojo.com of course.

CLD: Any "shout outs"?

NEF: Shout out to my family at The Soul Dojo for never letting me down. To all the folks that have supported us over the years and continue to do so (sites like Producers I Know and PotholesIn My Blog, to name a few). And of course, shout out to Sai from CooLikeDat for hitting me up for this interview!

CLD: We here at CooLikeDat.com would like to thank you for this interview and as a last question we always like to ask: what makes you CooLikeDat? 

NEF: I mean, just listen...



Follow @NefTheDamaja on twitter, visit thesouldojo.com to get more info on Nefarious! as well other artists. Download The Dream Theory  right now and check out his latest joint "Still Dreamin'"  below: 




1 comment:

Jesse said...

Nefarious is DOPE. I just discovered him and his music along with his crew has been the background to my life for the past month.