September 4, 2012

CooLikeDat Review: Welcome to: Our House | Slaughterhouse [Album]


Our resident Slaughterhouse fan, Dallas, gives the latest album from Slaughterhouse a track by track review. Check it out!


1. The Slaughter (Intro) – These guys dive right into being down and dirty with the bloody slaughter depicted in the first minute of the album. That has Eminem written all over it by the way.

2. Our House feat. Eminem & Skylar Grey – This is when you know the album is going to be great. I especially love how Royce shouts out Canibus and Wu-Tang despite the history between them. His verse is homage to the artists who came before them. This song says “we’re here now and this is our house”. Skylar Grey adds the last element to make this song perfect. If there’s one singer suitable to work with Slaughterhouse it’s her.

3. Coffin feat. Busta Rhymes – My only problem with this song is that Busta Rhymes doesn’t have a verse. He’s a hyped up guy but he shouldn’t be a hype man. I was waiting for his verse because when he worked on “Dinner Time” with Royce it was great. That being said, the song is still a good one. I know I shouldn’t, but I love when Royce tells us he’s gonna’ waste a bar screaming and then actually does it.

4. Throw That feat. Eminem – This had to be the biggest disappointment on the album to me. It’s one of two songs that probably should have been left out entirely. I expected much more from a song with Eminem and Slaughterhouse. Their verses weren’t terrible but the song just isn’t up to the standards I’ve come to expect.

5. Hammer Dance – This was their club song, but with a Slaughterhouse twist. They’re saying “we’re in the club, but we’re still killers so don’t you forget it.” Nicely done, boys; but I’m hoping to not get too many more club songs from the House Gang. I listen to Slaughterhouse for lyricism, not club hits. Also, how can Royce not have a verse on this?! He’s notorious for talking about his guns and his dick, both of which can be referred to with the euphemism of a hammer.

6. Get Up – I love the production on this track. That “The Hours” sample was nicely done. This song goes back to the theme of “how far we’ve come” and being someone who’s followed Slaughterhouse since their humble beginnings, it’s hard for me to get tired of it.

7. My Life feat. Cee-Lo Green – I love the fact that this song follows “Get Up” because that song deals with their journey to the top and this song shows the end result. They each talk about how much better their life is than it was before Slaughterhouse. Royce’s line, “As a kid I was poor, playing tag, now I’m it” pretty much sums up the song.

8. We Did It (Skit) – “We Did It”. Self explanatory.

9. Flip A Bird – This song has very eerie vocals in the hook that remind me a lot of The Hunger Games for some reason. I love it though. Initially I didn’t realize this song is about how if they weren’t rapping they’d pretty much be cooking and selling drugs. That’s where the whole “in the kitchen” thing comes in.

10. Throw It Away feat. Swizz Beatz – Here we are at the other worst song of the album. I abhor the thought of Slaughterhouse making a song that’s literally about throwing money away. People complain about “My Life” being too commercial, but this song is where those accusations should be thrown (no pun intended). I do like the beat though even with that weird Zoidberg sounding noise in the background.

11. Rescue Me feat. Skylar Grey – Ms. Skylar Grey makes another appearance on the album and it works out perfectly. I love everything about this song. The lyrics, the beat, the hook, it’s all great. I’m a big fan of their more serious songs.

12. Frat House – I know I said I’m a big fan of their more serious songs and at the risk of being a complete contradiction…this is one of my favorite songs on the album. It’s the perfect song for a college student. It’s a fun song with dope punch lines to enjoy as well. Crooked’s verse had my friend and I applauding with the Pink Floyd and Red Hot Chili Peppers references. I also really love how Joey and Joell revisited “The One” with their back and forth verse.

13. Goodbye – And we’re back to serious. I don’t know who put these tracks in this order (Probably Em), but I resent the decision to put this song between Frat House and Park It Sideways. Frat House is so fun and the buzz is killed immediately by this song. This has to be one of the saddest songs I’ve ever heard. That being said, it’s still one of my favorite songs on the album. I love how they all talked about something very personal and difficult for them. Joey’s verse almost gave me chills when I first heard it. Once again, no verse from Royce. That bothers me because this song feels like one they should all be on.

14. Park It Sideways – This is like a really mellow and relaxing version of “My Life”, Pretty much the same topic. Unfortunately by now that topic has pretty much run its course. I’m a proud Slaughterhouse fan, but I don’t need to be reminded how far they’ve come over and over again.

15. Die – This song reminds me a lot of Lupe Fiasco’s song “The Die”. Listen to it and you’ll know why. Anyway, I do like this song a lot. It gets you nice and hyped up.

16. Our Way (Outro) – Keeping with the “we made it” theme, they decided to tell us all how they refused to sell out and still managed to climb up the ladder. This is probably one of my favorite songs because while it relies on that same theme, it sounds more like classic Slaughterhouse than “My Life” and “Park It Sideways”

*Deluxe Edition

17. Asylum feat. Eminem – Even though I’m appalled that a song called “Asylum” that features Eminem doesn’t have a verse from him on it, I do love this song. It’s one big metaphor for the rap game.

18. Walk Of Shame – Along with “Frat House”, this is one of the more fun songs on the album. It’s all about hittin’ it and quittin’ it. I almost feel bad for liking the song as much as I do. Almost.

19. The Other Side – Another favorite of mine. Like I said before, I’m a fan of the serious stuff.

20. Place To Be feat. B.O.B – This song has B.o.B. written all over it. I’m a fan of his so it’s not a bad thing. I think he actually kinda held his own with the help of those last few collaborative bars at the end.

Welcome To: Our House is essentially a masterpiece. Not as much of a masterpiece as their debut album, but a masterpiece nonetheless. Admittedly there are a couple tracks that I could do without. Also, the “we finally made it” theme can get old after a whil considering they have a surplus of tracks talking about how they achieved their goal. That being said, the lyricism is as on point as it has ever been and what more could you ask for from four lyrical masterminds? I’d give it a 9/10.

No comments: